Saturday, October 2, 2010

Estoy aqui (I am here)

Wow this a happening place!  Left Richmond at 7:30a, to Miami by 9:30a, off to San Pedro Sula by 12:30p landing in San Pedro Sula at 12:45p.  Imagine that!  Stopped at Cemisa Hospital to see what was happening there.  They have completed 15 cardiac caths and 5 surgeries since Weds.
Sadly enough, two of today´s cases had complications.  Pray for Kevin and Jervin.  Kevin is not able to have his surgery, and has a projected lifespan of maybe 6-7 more years.  Jervin developed complications during his cath.  He will not be able to have surgery either.  This hit the doctors and nurses as hard as it did anyone. 
I traveled on to the Barnabas House in a bus full of children and family members.  The first two little girls to have cardiac surgery were with us.  Both are doing amazingly well.  We did have to turn around about a quarter of the way to the "house" to go get one more little girl who was discharged at the last minute.  Needless to say the trip was a little longer than expected. 
Everyone at the Barnabas House was waiting on the lawn for us as we pulled in, waving and cheering the first post op patients back to the place of healing.  It was so good to see my old friends here in Honduras as well has my American coworkers for the week; Julie, Virginia and Dr. John.  There are 5 other children here already.  And let me tell you they are active!!  I have already colored, taught colors, been colored on and called "hey"  hundreds of times. 
We are learning as we go how to be of help to the parents and the staff here.  Julie graciously is taking the night shift tonight, so Virginia and I can sleep.  I think I get tomorrow night.  The Honduran staff has already told me "no more english for the week".  Hope a good night sleep works miracles on my brain!  :)
Weather is balmy.  The crickets are chirping.  My pillow is calling. 
Much more tomorrow with pics of all the activity and sweet faces.
One child at a time,
Patti Wagner

1 comment:

  1. Glad you made it safely! Sounds like you have a busy week in store.

    ReplyDelete