Wednesday, October 6, 2010

This is my last blog post for this trip.  Lots of mixed emotions today for Julie, Virginia and myself, as well as the Honduran staff and the families here.  It has been a day of play, of worry and concern, of tears and of laughter. 
In my photos yesterday I am a mistake.  I told you that little Genisis, pictured above was 3 months old.  Well, she does look it.  Actually she is 7 months old.  She has been our worry of the day.  Her little heart continues to work very hard to keep her oxygenated.  Her lungs continue to accumulate some fluid, that needs medication to help her body get rid of it.  When she cries she sounds like a little kitten.  But...she will smile at you when you talk to her and is very alert most of the time.  Poor Julie checked on her every hour during the night.  Please pray for her and her mother as they continue to make forward strides.
The only thing we didn´t have weather wise here today was snow and a thunderstorm.  It rained twice, it was foggy twice, the sun came out off and on, the wind would blow, it was warm and then cold.  Not sure now how I will pack for our November trip.  Most definitely will have long sleeves and a jacket.
The Chicken Dance
Bowling
Play time was a little quieter.  There are only three children old enough to be out playing.  We bowled (a new word for them), we colored, we had a couple of English lessons.  Nancy Haga and Bruce Montgomery will be excited to know there is a Honduran version of the chicken dance, and yes....we learned it!!  Much too funny!
There were many conversations in broken English and Spanish as we all tried to share our feelings about each other and enjoy the last day together.
The flurry of activity started when our newest two post-op patients arrived.  Caroline and Julio both got to the "House" having some problems.  Caroline has a fever and Julio is needing to do lots of respiratory therapy.  Julio I am not so worried about...he has cried often since his arrival.  He will get those little lungs expanded in no time.
The day would not have been complete without another attempt at making tortilla.  Julie did just great.  Mine were a major fail.  I told Berta, our cook, that they could not be used for general consumption.  I had them for my dinner.
I finally got what I call "porch time".  The Barnabas House has three porches that face the mountains and the view is constantly changing.  This is my time to be quiet and listen, to reflect and be thankful.  There are no words, as Edwardo´s mother said to me today, to explain how lives are changed in this blessed place.  If God would allow us to be in two places at once, I would be with my family in Virginia and family here in Honduras.  It is a place of pure beauty, both of nature and people.  It is a place of great need, and great joy.  I will always be thankful that God led me to this place, and has given me the skills to be of service to these people.
Pascuela and Fernando

Edwardo´s mom and I cried together this afternoon as we tried to tell each other how thankful we were that our paths had crossed.  She, and everyone else here this week, have been more of a blessing to me than I could ever be to them.  For the cost of one cardiac surgery in the US, we did procedures on almost 75 children.  That is 75 children who can now live a full life.  75 little hearts that beat stronger. 
It is time for vital signs and evening medications.  I have the last night shift before we leave tomorrow.  The day will be long, but my full heart will get me through.  Thanks so much for listening (reading ) my rambling of the week.  I hope you will keep all these families in your prayers.
One child at a time,
Patti

No comments:

Post a Comment