Friday, July 27, 2012

Alabama Mission Trip Day 6

Thursday is usually a very fast paced and hectic today and this one was no different. It started out great with Rich, Nancy, Becky and Richard doing eggs and bacon for us all. Even Davis got up early so he wouldn't miss any. There was a little more moaning and groaning around the tables than earlier even with the hardy breakfast.
 
On Thursdays we work a little harder and a little longer because we know that we need to be done on Friday. Once we got to the jobsite and unloaded one of the task for today was to haul off some broken materials to a landfill. We had the use of a dumpster earlier in the week but that was now gone. So we loaded up my pickup and we found one online about 10 miles from us. No problem I thought (hint, hint). Well after traveling for about 30 minutes due to traffic and winding roads I finally found what I thought was the landfill. I pulled up to the office and went in. I explained to the guy who I was, what we were doing and asked where I could dump the trash. He said not here. I'm sure he enjoyed my surprised look. He then proceeded to tell me that the landfill I was at was no longer taking this type of debris but the one in the city of Albertville did. He gave me directions like I knew what he was talking about. So I headed back out the way I came in and finally found the City of Albertville. After driving around a bit and being followed by a police car I finally found the Post Office. I thought for sure these people would know this place I was looking for. I go in and explain to the nice lady behind the counter where I was looking for. Now it was her turn to give me a surprised look. She had no idea of what I was talking about. I could see those guys back at the landfill laugh their heads off at this out of towner with a load of busted sheetrock trying to find this mythical dumping station. As God would have it an angel walked in about that time. She stepped up and said I think I know where you are talking about and if you'll just follow me I'll take you right to it. I thought about giving her a hug about then. I followed her out of the parking lot and after 1 turn there it was. Thank you Lord! I quickly unloaded then headed back to the jobsite which was now only about 5 miles away. And no it didn't take me 30 minutes to get there.
 
Finally back at the houses. Everything was running smoothly. At Carol's house the paneling was all up, one of the bedrooms was painted, the sanding had been done and the primer was being put on. At Grannie's house the bedrooms were painted, doors were being worked on to be hung, the front room had at least one coat of paint on, the ceiling had been painted, corner beads were going up and work was going on in the bathroom. It was humming along.
 
We broke for lunch but quickly got back to our sites. Melanie (Grannie's granddaughter) stopped by and said that they had brought Grannie up on Wednesday night to check it out. The word I got was she was very happy with what has happened. Unfortunately we haven't seen Carol or Matthew. Pastor Marvin McCormick dropped by too. When he walked in I was about to open a can of paint. He asked to get a picture of that because he wasn't sure I ever did any work because he never sees me in any of the pictures.
 
Some folks wrapped up around 4 and headed back to clean up and start supper. The next crew wrapped up around 5 and headed back and the final crew headed back around 6. It was spaghetti tonight. Everybody was really hunger so the clean up was pretty easy.
 
Our devotions were lead by Brittney and Rich. It's a two part devotion with the second half coming tomorrow night in the sanctuary. Afterwards we talked about how we are feeling (tired, exciting, anxious, overjoyed). The team is working well. Attached are pictures of each team member and no mine is not staged. It has been a great week. We have encountered Christ in various ways. In each other, in a stranger at the Post Office, in the homeowners, in a lady who stopped by today to ask who we were and to thank us for helping out, to the owner of a local restaurant, in the members of Henryville UMC and in the folks back home who wrote the team members notes. It really does make a difference.
 
Tomorrow is going to be a busy day. We are close to completing the projects that we were given but most of all I feel that we have all experienced Christ in new and amazing ways. We thank you for your prayers as we continue to lift you all up in our prayers. God bless!
 
In Christ,
Jeff
<><

No comments:

Post a Comment